Position Title: Mosquito Control Technician
The Lehigh County Conservation District is hiring a seasonal Mosquito Control Technician, as a part of the District’s Vector Borne Disease Control (VBDC) Program. Responsible for performing mosquito surveillance and control, and participating in education and outreach activities regarding Integrated Mosquito Management (IMM) throughout Lehigh County. Duties include fieldwork, data collection and entry, mosquito control activities, and coordination with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) staff. A position in this class reports directly to the VBDC Program Coordinator. This position is temporary with the potential to become permanent.
Position Duties and Responsibilities: Assist the Lehigh County Conservation District’s VBDC Coordinator in day-to-day responsibilities.
- Setting site-specific traps to collect mosquitoes in varied urban and suburban habitats
- Conduct field examination of breeding sites to determine insect population, age, and probable species to make educated treatment decisions
- Prepare samples of mosquitoes or other arthropod vectors for laboratory processing
- Keep accurate records and enter sampling information into multi-agency database
- Coordinate surveillance and control activities with other program staff including DEP
- Conduct mosquito control activities independently
- Safe use of insecticides, sampling and control equipment strictly following PA Department of Agriculture (PDA) laws and regulations and PADEP recommendations
- Safely transport and store pesticides and equipment
- Limited dragging to collect ticks
- Provide County-wide education and outreach
- Must attend an overnight training program ‘Mosquito Academy’, hosted by PADEP
- Conduct other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science and/or Arts degree in Environmental Science, Entomology, Natural Resource Management, Biology or related field
- Class C Driver’s License
- Currently possess or be able to study for and acquire a PDA Pesticide Applicator’s License within the first months of employment
- Any equivalent combination of acceptable training and experience which has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to complete job duties
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Basic mechanical skills to repair traps and maintain motorized equipment
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and read maps to travel to project and collection sites
- Learn to identify larval, pupal and adult mosquitoes
- Ability to transport and set up equipment in isolated areas
- Ability to read and understand label directions for the application of insecticides
- Good attendance and punctuality in completing assigned program tasks
- Ability to read and interpret technical literature and tables.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Ability to traverse difficult terrain such as heavily wooded and wet areas
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of seasons and weather conditions
- Maintain a valid PA driver’s license.
Lehigh County Conservation District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or belief.
This position is paid at an hourly rate of $18.81 per hour.
Interested candidates may submit letters of interest and resume to Louise Bugbee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline for submittal of applications is April 14, 2023.